Friday, October 23, 2009

PINK SATURDAY


IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER

by Erma Bombeck (written after she found out she was dying from cancer).

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.


I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.


I would have talked less and listened more.


I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.


I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.


I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.


I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.


I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.


I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life..


I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.


Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.


When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, 'Later. Now go get washed up for dinner.' There would have been more 'I love you's' More 'I'm sorry's.' But mostly, given another shot at life,


I would seize every minute. Look at it and really see it . live it and never give it back.


STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!


Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what. Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.


Pink Saturday, is graciously hosted by Beverly, at How Sweet the Sound. Be sure to visit Beverly's beautiful blog to see a complete list of all the participants in today's Pink Saturday.
Thanks so much for stopping by...... As always it has been my Pleasure...
Julie

26 comments:

  1. Ditto!

    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.

    ~Robert Brault, robertbrault.com

    I wish I would have learned all this sooner when I thought I was so "busy" all the time - running around like a chicken with its head cut off...

    I'm a ver late bloomer ;-)

    Have a great weekend!

    Doris

    p.s. I wish we could get more of your followers to vote for your Lucy! You have so many followers, if even just 1/4 voted for her, she'd have it made - I ask everyone I know every day, but some of the "moms" have their own campaigns going and you can tell who really wants to win!

    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very thought-provoking post today. Thanks so much for sharing these words of wisdom.
    Happy weekend, NM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore your post today. These words are so true. I know why we should appreciate life, my cousin struggles to live, many take advantage of life.


    What a beautiful post.

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have always loved her. She could tell it like it is and make everyone understand! Thanks for sharing this one!
    Happy Pink Saturday!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had to love Erma...she became very wise. Excellent post to remind us to "smell those roses" every day.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. This always makes me cry just a few tears for all the love and life we waste. I am a cancer survivor and I know all too well, what it means to cherish every minute like it's all brand new. And to stand and watch..really look and sense the day,the rain..to just sit and be. She was a very wise woman and we should all stop for just a minute and listen to the wisdom from her.
    May all your days be filled with pinks and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so miss her ... lived & leaned on her every word. After my wee Sean left us, let me tell you, life & thinking changed so completely. There are no guarantees from one second to the next.

    Have a warm wonderful weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff!!

    nannykim/spindle cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this post is making me cry. So true, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen! That is the way we all should live regardless of the situation. I try my best to do a lot of the things she wished had done. Material things are of no importance like they used to be. I am just thankful I am as healthy and still able to take care of myself, and do what I can for others. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you lover her??!! I did a post a while back on her. I miss her. She had a way of saying what we all thought! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie, first, thank you for visiting my blog..second..what a wonderful post..I forget to stop and smell the roses..life goes so fast, kids grow fast, all the changes..great reminder and I miss Erma's articles..she was a grand lady.
    Is your dog in a contest..let me know I will vote for her!
    hugs
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Julie! You have no idea how much that post would mean to me today in particular!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING. What a great Pink Saturday post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post Julie! It's been crazy around here getting ready to move, but I try to remember it's ok.. and it's going to BE ok.. Moving is tough for so many reasons, but as long as I've got my family, and we're together, then we are truly blessed!! Ah perspective (or a good kick in the can) is so refreshing!! I will get through this next week, and I will NOT sweat the small stuff!.. Well.. I might... trying to move that REFRIGERATOR!!.. but I will NOT sweat the small stuff!! (0; Happy Pink Saturday, and hope you have a wonderful weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  15. A time to count my blessings and know how lucky I am.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for these beautiful words, we all know this, but a reminder is often necessary !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post, Julie. I've always loved what Erma wrote. She's right and it helps to be reminded of what is truly important. Happy PS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet post and really makes you think:) I try really hard to live this way but could probably do a tad better! Have a blessed day and thanks for sharing these thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Erma Bombeck "hit the nail on the head" didn't she! I love this piece of written wisdom. Thanks for sharing it today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, thanks. I'd never read that particular passage before, and I love her.

    I must join your blog now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post today is very though provoking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Have a wonderful Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have read this often.....we should all listen! Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Erma Bombeck. Isn't that so true? (Still on my Pink Saturday rounds. Have a great week!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great spirit and so humorous too, she was a wonderful read, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved Erma, and always enjoyed her books. It is so tragic! I also loved your post!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Julie