Thursday, October 8, 2009

FOODIE FRIDAY

CHICKEN POT PIE





Welcome to Foodie Friday.Be sure to stop by Designs by Gollum hosted by the sweet Michael for a virtual feast and a lot of inspiration!



CHICKEN POT PIE...

I would never eat Chicken Pot Pie until a friend gave me this recipe.... I have shared this recipe many times...



YOU WILL NEED:
1 boneless chicken boiled and cubed
( I use 2 chicken breast boiled and cubed)
2 cans Veg-All drained
( I add 3 big handfuls of frozen Lima beans to my pie)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste and a couple of big pinches of Poultry seasoning to taste
1 or 2 frozen dip dish pie shells NOT cooked

FOR CRUST:
1 cup Bisquick - 1/2 cup for one pie
1 cup milk - 1/2 cup for one pie
1 stick butter - 1/2 stick for one pie

This will make two pies...
I like this pie the first night that you cook it ... my family will reheat and eat left overs....
Most of the time I make the filling.... fill 1 pie shell ... you can save the other half in the frig or it will freeze real nice.... then I make the crust for 1 pie...




While chicken is boiling, I mix vegetables , chicken, soup and broth in a bowl, salt , pepper and Poultry seasoning to taste... I also like to add about three big handfuls of frozen lima beans to my pie...




Cut chicken into bite size pieces... add to filling


As you can see I put 1/2 filling in pie shell... and I saved 1/2 and cooked a new pie two nights later...



Mix 1/2 cup bisquick,1/2 cup milk and 1/2 stick butter pour over filling to make top crust for 1 pie...







Bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes.....OH SO GOOD...








20 comments:

  1. Julie! I love your large pictures and your tutorial on this delicious chicken pot pie recipe! Gosh, that pie is just delicious looking. Great job!

    Happy Foodie Friday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beloved likes chicken pot pie almost as much as lobster :)This looks like a good and doable recipe! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like great comfort food to me!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to make a pot pie this fall but I do love them. Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my mom made this for us growing up -- yummy is right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could make a decent pie crust. Our frozen ones around here are not very good.
    It really is comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful looking pot pie! I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    Julie, let me know if you want to participate in the Pay It Forward. You were the first blogger to post a comment. If you aren't interested I'll pass it along to the next one. Thanks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, My daughter loves chicken pot pie. I'm going to make this just for her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I'm bookmarking this for later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so good, and so simple. My daughter loves chiken pot pie and I sometimes buy her the frozen ones but they are so expensive. I will try this soon!
    Hugs,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful new take on an old favorite. It looks delicious. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie,
    I'm not kidding, I was just saying to my daughter the other night: "I need to get a good chicken pot pie recipe". Because we love em, but have never made one from scratch. It's as if you knew just what I was looking for!!Thanks so much for posting this, I will try it this weekend. The weather has really turned - it's grey and wet out - perfect pot pie weather!
    Thanks for being such a good blogging friend!
    XO
    Heidi - Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, it's me again. Two questions, just cause I want to do this right...do I drain the veggies,if so, can I use fresh instead? And is the butter melted for the top crust with the bisquick? Can I use a regular pie crust (I like to make my own) for the top? Okay, I think that's all! Thanks Julie!
    XO
    Heidi - Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pie looks wonderful! And it's making me hungry!
    I've been looking for new, easy one-dish recipes, so thanks for posting this!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks very yummy!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Heidi, Yes drain the veg all... I have never used fresh vegies, so I am not sure.Now for the butter, I pull it out and let it come to room temp.( real butter) mix it with the bisqiuck then add milk a little at a time. And on to the crust... I have NEVER liked chicken pot pie until a freind made this for my family for dinner one night after I came home from one of my hospital stays... I love this recipe!!! I almost always play with a recipe but only after the FIRST time I make it so that I have a starting point and know how it should taste.My add on to this recipe was the lima beans... Now with that said I know that I like this pie because you have the pie crust bottom.. and then the top has a more cake like crust to it and the two different taste (I think ) makes this pie so different. I hope that helps ...Just let me know if you need anything more.... I think you will love this pie.... I have shared this pie recipe many times... I have been making it for my family now for 12 years and they still request it often!!! Please let me know how it goes ...
    xoxo
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh...my son will be in heaven and so will I, this looks soo easy! Thanks!

    I just signed up to become a follower so that I don't miss a thing!

    Enjoy!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Julie!
    ..Perfect for fall temps. YUMMM! Just thought I would stop by and say Thank you for being a follower of Tales from Bloggeritaville.Have a wonderful weekend!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's cold and rainy here to day and Chicken Pot Pie sounds just about perfect for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will definitely try this recipe once the weather here cools down. Eating Chicken Pot Pie brings back memories of cold Fall afternoons in my Mom's kitchen even if they were the frozen Swanson type:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Julie